Thursday, February 7, 2013

My Not-So-Exciting Hiatus

Hi everyone. So sorry for the delay in writing, but really I've not been up to much other than working. It doesn't help that we also didn't have internet at my flat for a week and a half (let me tell you, it felt like a millenium to internet-junky me). We, luckily, had internet installed three days ago, so I feel much better about everything now.
Like I said, though, I've been working 36-45 hours/week for the last few weeks, which has been exhausting. I didn't think you all would be super interested in my day-to-day activities, so don't think I was neglecting you! The most interesting thing I've been doing in the past three weeks, though, is that I finally started volunteering at the Wellington SPCA. I decided on this back in November or December, but they didn't have any volunteering orientations until last month, and it took them two weeks to get back to me after that. So, finally, I'm settled in. I work in the dog run with all the lovely doggies in need of lots of love! If you'd like to check any of them out, go to the SPCA Flickr to look at some pictures. My average duties as a volunteer are to help clean out their kennels, rotate the dogs in the play area, and take dogs for walks. It's been great for me to de-stress and help out some really sweet dogs.
I've also been trying to go on some good walks around Wellington with some friends. I went over to Makara Beach, which is a good 40 minute drive from my flat on the West Coast, to go on what was supposed to be a little trek. We ended up walking for three and a half hours. The views were absolutely stunning though and reminded me of why I came over here.


Sun's still bright at the beginning of the walk

That's actually the South Island in the distance 

Beautiful wind farm in the hills


Same as the first picture, but sun is going down. This took way longer than anticipated
I've also been taking smaller treks closer to home, but it really allows me to see the city and the surroundings in a completely different way. Being above everything else gives me perspective and clarity. Oh, and it's free. That usually is pretty awesome when you're a poor expat. Until next time!

View of Wellington Airport and surrounding suburbs from Brooklyn Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment